Aspiring civil servants in India have to go through a rigorous and demanding preparatory process before they can clear the coveted civil service entrance exams. They have to be well-versed in a wide range of subjects, including history, geography, economics, polity, and general knowledge. They also have to be good at analytical and critical thinking, writing skills, and logical reasoning. To help the aspirants in their preparation process, we have compiled a list of 25 must-read IAS preparation books for IAS Exam preparation
1. Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth – This book gives an extensive overview of the Indian political system, the Constitution, and governing institutions.
2. History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra – This book covers the most important events in India’s modern history from colonial times to independence.
3. India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipan Chandra – This book is an in-depth look at the Indian independence movement and the lives of the key leaders and personalities.
4. Economic Survey by Government of India – This annual report by the government gives an analysis of the Indian economy and its trends over the years.
5. Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh – This comprehensive book gives an overview of various aspects of the Indian economy, including growth, development, and policy.
6. Environmental Studies by R. Rajagopalan – This book covers the basics of ecology and environmental science, including pollution control and biodiversity.
7. Governance in India by M. P. Sharma – This book analyzes the functioning of the Indian government, including policy-making, decision-making, and administrative processes.
8. Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania – This book covers the various art forms and cultural traditions of India, including architecture, dance, music, and literature.
9. Indian Society by Ram Ahuja – This book provides insights into the social and cultural aspects of India, including caste, religion, gender, and rationalism.
10. International Relations by Pavneet Singh – This book covers the nuances of the Indian perspective on international relations and the global order.
11. Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by M. Karthikeyan – This book provides an insight into the ethical and moral questions that civil servants face in their roles.
12. India After Independence by Bipan Chandra – This book explores how India transformed itself after independence, including areas such as politics, economics, and social justice.
13. Current Affairs by Arihant Publication – This book is updated annually and covers all the latest developments and events that take place across India and globally.
14. Science and Technology by Ashok Singh – This book covers the basics of science and technology, including their impact on the Indian economy and society.
15. Indian Geography by Majid Husain – This is an extensive book that covers the physical and human geography of India.
16. Indian Philosophy by Radhakrishnan – This book covers the various philosophical schools of thought in India and their influence on Indian culture and society.
17. Social Problems and Inequality in India by Ram Ahuja – This book addresses the issues of poverty, inequality, and social problems in India.
18. Governance and Public Policy by Prakash Chand – This book covers the nuances of governance and public policy and the challenges that the Indian government faces in these areas.
19. General Studies Paper 1 by Arihant Publications – This book is a comprehensive guide to all the essential topics needed for the IAS prelims exam Paper 1.
20. General Studies Paper 2 by Arihant Publications – This book covers all the topics needed for the IAS prelims exam Paper 2, including current affairs, logical reasoning, and analytical skills.
21. CSAT General Studies by Disha Publications – This book is a comprehensive guide to the civil services aptitude test.
22. India’s National Security – A Reader by Kanti P. Bajpai – This book delves into India’s national security concerns, its strategic challenges and the various security threats faced by the country.
23. India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium by A.P.J Abdul Kalam – This book provides a vision for a new and improved India and highlights the key areas that need to be addressed for its development.
24. India’s National Movement: Selected Documents by A. R Desai – This book provides a collection of selected documents relating to the history of India’s national movement.
25. India’s Foreign Policy: The Democracy Dimension by Rajendra K. Jain – This book explores the role that democracy plays in India’s foreign policy and how it has shaped India’s relations with other countries.